SONY TO CUT TIES WITH DR.LUKE?

Hey guys, so remember that post I made about the whole Kesha-Dr.Luke saga? This is just an update on the entire case. I've been following it for some time now, and honestly I didn't find anything quite worthy to write about, just a bunch of ridiculous rumors concerning the issue. This was until recently when I chanced upon an article saying Sony was cutting ties with Dr.Luke, so like the inquisitive little badger that I am, I decided to search deep into it. Basically, a Wednesday report by The Wrap, Sony intends cutting ties with the music producer before his contract expires in 2017. If you ask me, I'd say this is a smart move if they actually do it. Why? Well this whole case, as tiring as it has been, has attracted a lot of public opinion. Now many celebrities have also hopped on the case, giving their views on the matter and their support where and when needed. You don't want a bunch of celebrities who could be likely future sign ups hating your record label right? So it'll probably be a good move if Sony cuts ties with Dr.Luke.


Anyway, the article by The Wrap may just be a fallacy because just hours after it was published, representatives for Dr. Luke, whose real name is Lukasz Gottwald, told Mashable that the report was unsubstantiated:

This is not true. Luke has an excellent relationship with Sony. His representatives are in regular contact with executives at the highest levels at Sony and this has never come up.

So judging by the fact that Dr.Luke's representatives are claiming that this whole issue is not true, and also how Lawyers and representatives for Sony Music and Kesha declined to comment on the report to Mashable, all of this May just be a misunderstanding and Dr.Luke could still have his contract with Sony still intact. Sony Entertainment corporate reps did not respond to Mashable's inquiries Wednesday, also making it a bit obvious that this isn't true.

Sony was caught in the crossfire after Kesha requested a temporary injunction to be freed from her contract at Dr. Luke's Kemosabe Records, a subsidiary of Sony Music. Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich denied Kesha's request last month.

Right, so with all this happening, I think the question now is, how much is Dr.Luke's contract with Sony actually worth? And maybe, another question could be, does Sony actually have the legal right to terminate the contract before it ends, even though Dr.Luke hasn't been found guilty of all the charges pressed against him?
I will have to get back to you on that though I have been doing some digging.
I'm not quite sure of all this and it is unclear how much Dr. Luke's contract is worth, but according to The Wrap, the producer signed a five-year agreement in late 2011 that ends in early 2017. So you know, if Sony does end the contract, it was going to end soon anyway right? Dr.Luke still claims all that is being said about him isn't true, I'm pretty sure you can count the number of people who believe him but oh well, that's his problem.


It's not immediately clear how a Sony divorce from Dr. Luke would affect Kesha's ties to him, since her recording contract is at least in part with Kemosabe, not directly with Sony. Still, on Feb. 24, Kesha posted a message urging Sony Music to "break all ties that bind me to my abuser."

"This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract – it was never about getting a bigger, or a better deal," Kesha wrote. "This is about being free from my abuser. I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser." Seems like she's still going strong on the abuser claim.

Well, we'll all wait till there's more evidence to see if anyone is going to be found guilty, and if anything does come up, I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Only Angel Obinim can explain how the lord has blessed me' – Shatta Wale

Top producer B2 nominated for Ghana Tertiary Awards.

Bukom Banku to begin JHS